About the Australian Embassy in South Korea
Head of Mission
Mr James Choi is a senior career officer with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). He has served overseas as Ambassador to Denmark, with earlier postings at the Australian Permanent Mission to the United Nations, New York and at the Australian Embassy, Seoul.
In Canberra, Mr Choi has held a variety of positions in DFAT, including Assistant Secretary of the Consular Operations Branch. He was seconded to the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet as Senior Adviser, Asia and has also been Senior Adviser in the Office of the Minister for Foreign Affairs.
Mr Choi holds a Bachelor of Economics and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Sydney. He commenced his appointment in December 2016.
Visa : Counter service is available by appointment only, Monday to Friday
Consular : Counter service (Passport and Notarial services) is available by appointment only, Monday to Friday. Notarial services only are also available for walk-in from 9 am – 12 pm, Tuesday and Thursday, with an exception of Apostille.
AEI (Education Centre) : 9am - 12:30pm and 1:30pm - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday
Austrade : 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday
Other sections : 8.30am - 5pm, Monday to Friday
Public holidays in 2017
The embassy will be closed on:
- Monday 2 January - New Year’s Day (in lieu)
- Friday 27 January - Lunar New Year
- Monday 30 January - Lunar New Year
- Monday 13 March - Canberra Day
- Friday 14 April - Good Friday
- Monday 17 April - Easter Monday
- Friday 5 May - Children's Day
- Monday 12 June - Queen’s Birthday
- Tuesday 15 August - Independence Day
- Wednesday 4 October - Chuseok
- Thursday 5 October - Chuseok
- Friday 6 October - Chuseok
- Monday 25 December - Christmas Day
- Tuesday 26 December - Boxing Day