About the Australian Embassy in South Korea
Head of Mission
Mr James Choi is a senior career officer with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). He has served overseas as Ambassador to Denmark, with earlier postings at the Australian Permanent Mission to the United Nations, New York and at the Australian Embassy, Seoul.
In Canberra, Mr Choi has held a variety of positions in DFAT, including Assistant Secretary of the Consular Operations Branch. He was seconded to the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet as Senior Adviser, Asia and has also been Senior Adviser in the Office of the Minister for Foreign Affairs.
Mr Choi holds a Bachelor of Economics and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Sydney. He commenced his appointment in December 2016.
Ambassador on Instagram
Visa : Counter service is available by appointment only, Monday to Friday
Consular : Counter service (Passport and Notarial services) is available by appointment only.
AEI (Education Centre) : 9am - 12:30pm and 1:30pm - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday
Austrade : 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday
Other sections : 8.30am - 5pm, Monday to Friday
Public holidays in 2018
The embassy will be closed on:
- Monday 1 January - New Year’s Day (in lieu)
- Thursday 15 February - Lunar New Year
- Friday 16 February - Lunar New Year
- Friday 30 March - Good Friday
- Monday 2 April - Easter Monday
- Monday 7 May - Children's Day
- Monday 28 May - Reconciliation Day
- Monday 11 June - Queen’s Birthday
- Wednesday 15 August - Independence Day
- Monday 24 September - Chuseok
- Tuesday 25 September - Chuseok
- Wednesday 26 September - Chuseok
- Tuesday 25 December - Christmas Day
- Wednesday 26 December - Boxing Day