About the Australian Embassy in South Korea
Head of Mission
Mr James Choi is a senior career officer with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). He has served overseas as Ambassador to Denmark, with earlier postings at the Australian Permanent Mission to the United Nations, New York and at the Australian Embassy, Seoul.
In Canberra, Mr Choi has held a variety of positions in DFAT, including Assistant Secretary of the Consular Operations Branch. He was seconded to the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet as Senior Adviser, Asia and has also been Senior Adviser in the Office of the Minister for Foreign Affairs.
Mr Choi holds a Bachelor of Economics and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Sydney. He commenced his appointment in December 2016.
Ambassador on Instagram
Visa : Service is available by appointment only, Monday to Friday
Passport and Notarial services: Counter service is available by appointment only, 9am - 12:30pm and 1:30pm - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
AEI (Education Centre) : 9am - 12:30pm and 1:30pm - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday
Austrade : 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday
Public holidays in 2020
The embassy will be closed on:
- Wednesday 1 January - New Year’s Day
- Friday 24 January - Lunar New Year
- Monday 27 January - Lunar New Year/Australia Day
- Friday 10 April - Good Friday
- Monday 13 April - Easter Monday
- Monday 1 June - Reconciliation Day
- Wednesday 30 September - Chuseok
- Thursday 1 October - Chuseok
- Friday 2 October- Chuseok
- Friday 9 October - Hangul Proclamation Day
- Friday 25 December - Christmas Day
- Monday 28 December - Additional Embassy holiday
- Tuesday 29 December - Additional Embassy holiday
- Wednesday 30 December - Additional Embassy holiday